Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Separation

You followed me to the train the evening I left,
carried the suitcase for me, took care of everything,
thought of everything - and didn't think at all!
I thought that, and my heart was cold.

Yes, it was cold. But it smarted from pain.
You made plans. - Oh leave me in peace!
I don't want to hear plans,
of your future - a future I'm not in!

The minutes passed. - A whole one, a half
- and now, now the train leaves, in a wink!
Finally you were quiet. Your mouth quivered,
and you forgot to be so careful and clever.

And my heart burst out of its shell of cold.
I leaned out, and we just barely reached
to touch each other for the last time.
And my life flew away from yours.


Halldis Moren Vesaas, Selected Poems, translated
from Norwegian by Wakefield and Thomson, White
Pine Press, 1989

No comments: